Prior to Calvary calling this building home, it was Epworth United Methodist church. This photo from September 1922.
This particular Sunday was a day when churches throughout Elgin celebrated “Automobile Days.” It was something of an evangelistic endeavor, as those who owned cars were encouraged to fill them with those that did not.
In the foreground, you will notice the brick streets, and the rails for the trolley, as well as the electrical wires for powering the trolley.
First meeting in 1966, Calvary Baptist Church began as the East Side Mission in Elgin. In 1967 we incorporated as a church and changed our name to Calvary in remembrence of the source of our salvation. Through the years Calvary has called several places home, finally settling into our building at 551 Arlington Avenue in 1980.
In 1977 God blessed us by sending the Reverend Tim Wills to pastor our flock. Pastor Wills retired in 2003 after 25 years of faithful service at Calvary.
In 2005, with God's guidance, Calvary called the Rev. Craig Furtick to shepherd the church. Pastor Craig, after much prayer and consideration of God’s direction for his life and ministry, resigned in March 2008.
Scott Ballance began serving as interim pastor in January 2009. He is a long standing member of Calvary Baptist Church, and was called to be the bi-vocational pastor on October 17, 2010.
In the summer of 2013, Calvary called Noah Adams to be the Associate Pastor and Youth Pastor after 3 years of volunteer leadership.
In the fall of 2017, Pastors Scott and Noah each took on new roles. Pastor Scott now serves as Minister of Pastoral Care while Pastor Noah serves as Pastor of Teaching and Vision.